Microsoft Office is the most popular office software suite worldwide and comes with many useful applications for work, school, and more. Microsoft Word is one of the most-used apps in the suite, allowing users to create and edit documents, and comes with a range of powerful features. But what if you no longer need your Microsoft Word? How to cancel a Microsoft Word subscription? Or do you have to cancel your whole Microsoft Office subscription? Today, we’ll find out.
What is Microsoft Word?
Microsoft Word is text processing software developed by Microsoft as part of the Microsoft Office suite, that also includes other productivity tools like Excel (spreadsheet program) or PowerPoint (presentation software). Word is used for creating, editing, formatting, and printing documents, and the app is available on a range of platforms, including Windows, macOS, and as part of Microsoft 365 - a cloud-based version accessible through a web browser.
Over the years, Word was continuously developed, and several new features were with new versions. The app includes a user-friendly interface that allows changing the font, size, color, and style of the text, as well as underlining, highlighting, bolding, and putting the text in italics. Users can easily adjust line spacing, add bulleted or numbered lists, and set text alignment as well.
You can define margins, orientation, and paper size for each document. Word also comes with a range of pre-made templates for various document types, including resumes, reports, and newsletters, which can be a great starting point for new documents. The software also includes built-in spell-checking and grammar-checking functions to correct any mistakes.
How to purchase a Microsoft Word subscription?
While Microsoft Word is not available for purchase as a standalone application, users can still purchase the Microsoft Office suite or the Microsoft 365 subscription, which also includes other Microsoft Office apps like Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and Outlook, plus additional services like OneDrive cloud storage.
To purchase a Microsoft 365 subscription, you’ll have to:
- Visit the Microsoft 365 product page on Microsoft’s website.
- Choose the version of Microsoft 365 that best fits your needs. There are different plans for personal use, families, students, and businesses. Each plan includes a set of features and services, so make sure to compare them before making a choice.
- Click on the “Buy now” or “Subscribe now” button.
- You’ll be asked to sign in to your Microsoft account. If you don’t have an account, you can create one.
- After signing in, you’ll need to provide payment details. Microsoft accepts various forms of payment, including credit cards and PayPal.
- Complete your purchase. After your purchase is complete, you’ll be able to install the included apps on your devices.
Remember that a Microsoft 365 subscription is recurring and will be renewed automatically either monthly or annually, depending on the plan you choose. Also, please note that the above instructions might vary slightly as Microsoft continues to update its website and services. Be sure to check for the most current information.
If you're interested in a one-time purchase of Office apps without a recurring subscription, Microsoft still offers Office Home & Student 2019, which includes Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. This doesn't include updates to the latest features or additional services like OneDrive storage or technical support, which are benefits of the Microsoft 365 subscription.
It's also worth noting that Microsoft provides free online versions of Word and other Office apps with basic functionality. These can be accessed through a web browser after signing in with a Microsoft account. They are a good option for light users or those on a tight budget.
How much does Microsoft Word cost?
The cost of a Microsoft 365 subscription varies based on the specific plan you choose. As of writing this article, Microsoft 365 Personal, intended for individual use, costs £59.99 per year or £5.99 per month. Microsoft 365 Family, which allows up to 6 users, costs £79.99 per year or £7.99 per month.
Microsoft 365 Business plans vary in price depending on the specific features and services included, but can range from £3 to £20 per user per month. Each of these plans includes access to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote, plus additional services like OneDrive cloud storage and Skype minutes.
How to cancel my Microsoft Word subscription?
To cancel your Microsoft Office subscription, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your Microsoft account from the Microsoft 365 homepage.
- Once signed in, navigate to the Services & Subscriptions page. You can find this in the header or under your account menu.
- On the Services & Subscriptions page, you should see a list of all your Microsoft subscriptions. Find the Microsoft 365 subscription you want to cancel and click on “Manage”.
- On the next page, find the section for your subscription (it might be under a tab like “Payment & Billing”) and look for an option that says “Cancel” or “Cancel subscriptions”.
- Follow the prompts to confirm cancellation of your subscription.
After canceling, you’ll still have access to your subscription for the remainder of the time you’ve already paid for. For example, if you paid for a year and cancel after six months, you'll still have access for the remaining six months.